2017 Facilitator Requirements
We are seeking exceptional professional development coordinators, science/STEM curriculum coordinators, college faculty, and any individuals who support 6-12 grade in-service teachers on a regular basis to apply to attend our POD Facilitation Academy to learn to replicate POD Teacher Workshops across the nation. Teams are especially encouraged to apply together.
- Applicants may be teacher educators from informal or formal education, K-12 teachers, coordinators, or post-secondary educators – anyone who supports in-service teachers (as opposed to pre service teachers) on a regular basis. Teacher Educators will become POD Facilitators.
- Facilitators MUST recruit at least fifteen 6th-12th grade in-service teachers to attend each of TWO approximately 35-hour POD Teacher Workshops. Teacher participants may be from U.S. alternative, public, charter, or private schools, but they must teach face to face courses, not virtual learning academies.
- Facilitators may charge a fee to cover the cost of offering TWO approximately 35-hour POD Teacher Workshops to a minimum of fifteen 6th-12th grade in-service teachers each.
- Applicants must submit two recommendation forms from professional colleagues, administrators, and/or supervisors who can comment on
- their abilities to lead formal professional development opportunities for secondary in-service teachers and
- their access to a proper facility to host TWO approximately 35-hour POD teacher workshops for 15 teachers each.
- After application is received, applicants will be required to submit a GST (Geospatial Technology) proficiency survey.
Facilitators will receive:
- A high quality professional learning experience.
- Access to an online Facilitation Guide which includes sample agendas and recruiting materials, lessons and presentations, data, and evaluation forms.
- $900 stipend to offset cost of travel to Flagstaff. Suite style dormitory housing is available for PARTICIPANTS ONLY for approximately $52 per night double occupancy/$62 per night single occupancy including three meals per day or $28 per night double occupancy/$38 per night single occupancy lodging only. **Participants who choose dormitory housing will have this amount deducted from the $900 travel stipend** All other travel arrangements are the responsibility of participants.
- $500 after completion of the Facilitation Academy in Flagstaff, Arizona, (June 19-23, 2017).
- Support from the POD team as you implement POD Teacher Workshops.
- $500 after the completion of each of the TWO approximately 35-hour POD Teacher Workshops delivered in the U.S. (as evidenced by submission of a PD implementation form and POD Teacher Workshop Evaluation Forms – $1000 total).
- $250 after submitting data from POD Teacher Workshop participants and their students for each of the two POD Teacher Workshops ($500 total).
- In-service teachers who attend the POD Teacher Workshops offered by the Facilitators will also receive compensation from the project.
Although certain content that reflects POD’s core values and understandings will need to be implemented with integrity, Facilitators will retain the flexibility to decide the format of the POD Teacher Workshops they offer (successive weekends, 3 days in summer, after school, as a college course, etc.). By the end of the Facilitator Academy, facilitators will submit plans for implementing the two POD Teacher Workshops.
We will ask you to participate in data collection and evaluation to guide the revision of the materials and help us to research the scalability of the POD project in different contexts.
Join the POD Project
Interested in becoming a POD Facilitator? We will be recruiting for our second cohort POD Facilitation Academy which will be held June 19-23, 2017. Subscribe to our mailing list by clicking the button.
Check out the article written by Megan Walker and Lori Rubino-Hare at http://www.directionsmag.com/entry/pod-program-fuels-student-enthusiasm-for-stem-and-gis/486789...read more
We are excited to announce we are accepting applications for 2017 POD Facilitation Academy which will occur June 19-23, 2017 in Flagstaff. Applications and recommendation forms are due February 15, 2017. Teams of facilitators are especially encouraged to apply. Find...read more
In conjunction with the GEOCACHE project We're planning the first ever Arizona GIS in Education User Conference in Flagstaff, Arizona May 5-6, 2017. We hope to celebrate success and identify challenges and problems of practice so we can move forward with getting GIS...read more
In July of 2016, we held our first POD Facilitation Academy in Flagstaff, Arizona. We are pleased to report that this outstanding group of Facilitators helped make the Academy a great success. Their combined experience teaching, leading professional development and...read more
We're excited about our contribution to the special Geospatial Technologies in Teacher Education issue of the Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education (CITE) Journal. We followed teachers one to two years beyond POD Teacher workshops to see what...read more
On May 5, key advisers to the POD project convened in Flagstaff and virtually to review the POD Facilitation Academy and POD Teacher Workshop materials and research instruments. Christine Cunningham, Vice President of Museum of Science, Boston and Founder and Director...read more
We are excited to announce the teacher educators invited to join us for the first POD Facilitation Academy at the state-of-the-art NAU Cline Library Learning Studio July 11-15, 2016. We look forward to learning as much from the Teacher Educators as we hope they will...read more
We are excited to announce we have invited 15 Teacher Educators to join us for the first POD Facilitation Academy in Flagstaff, AZ. An outstanding pool of candidates applied for the available positions. This did not make our decision easy! We look forward to learning...read more
The POD Facilitation Academy will be held in Flagstaff, Arizona, June 19-23, 2017. We are currently recruiting 15 exceptional professional development coordinators, science/STEM curriculum coordinators, college faculty, and any individuals who support teachers on a...read more